Spring is finally here! If you plan on doing some spring cleaning around the house, don’t forget to check up on your pipes. Your plumbing system is one of the most important parts of your home, so you need to be sure it’s always in good shape. Spring weather and rain can wreak havoc on your plumbing system. Luckily, with a little help from Gold Star Service, there are a few things that you can do.
Get Your Plumbing Ready for Spring
There are some things that you can do on your own, like check for any visual signs of damage. However, at the first sign of a problem, it’s best to call Gold Star Service. Early detection is key, and we can fix plumbing problems before they have a chance to escalate. In the meantime, here are a few things to watch out for:
- Check for leaks. Leaks can happen anywhere in your plumbing system, so it’s important to inspect your pipes and water fixtures. Look around your home. Make sure there is no water dripping out or around the connections, especially when a fixture is not in use. Some leaks may be hard to find, but you can usually spot the warning signs. If you find a leaky fixture or pipe, water pooling in places they shouldn’t be, or constantly hear running water, you should call a Gold Star Service professional.
- Inspect your sump pump. Your sump pump may have been overworked this winter to protect your basement from flooding. If so, it may be time for some professional maintenance. To test it, there are a few things you can do on your own. If you fill the basin to the top with water, your sump pump should start automatically. If it’s properly connected and doesn’t turn on with excess water, it needs repairs.
- Clean your drains. Clogs can happen anytime and anywhere in your pipes. It’s always a good idea to consistently clean your drains, as it can not only prevent clogs but bigger plumbing problems. A Gold Star Service professional can help clean your pipes with a camera inspection, hydro jetting, and rootering services.
- Check your water heater. Besides the sump pump, spring is a good time to have your water heater tuned-up. It’s recommended that your water heater gets professional maintenance at least twice a year, so it deserves some TLC around springtime. If your water heater breaks, it can flood your basement. You can flush the tank on your own, but an inspection is still recommended to catch potential problems before they get serious.
- Look for any winter damages. The winter season can be hard on your home, which is why it’s a good idea to inspect for damages as soon as possible. The extreme cold, ice, and snow could have damaged your home’s exterior and plumbing. Check for any cracks, leaks, or broken connections which could have been caused by a frozen pipe. If you spot any problems, call Gold Star Service right away.
- Inspect your basement plumbing. Not all your plumbing is hidden inside the walls. Check any exposed pipes for potential damages. If you notice wet spots, pools of water, or smell mold, you most likely have a leak that needs urgent repair.
Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late!
Plumbing problems can be incredibly inconvenient. That’s why early detection is so important – it stops problems in their tracks. Professional maintenance will help prepare your plumbing for spring, but a little work on your end helps too! Keep an eye out for any warning signs from your plumbing. At the first sign of a problem, call Gold Star Service!