Clogged drains can be a frustrating nuisance, but having a dirty drain during the cooler months could mean bursting pipes in your home. The winter season already puts enough strain on your plumbing, freezing your pipes and wearing down your water heater. No homeowner wants a home flooded from a burst pipe, which is why it’s important to keep your drains clear this season.
When You Should Clean Your Drains
Plumbing problems can be frustrating, and a dirty drain can disrupt your daily activities. It might be tempting to overlook one clogged drain, but a clog left untreated can result in costly damages.
Your plumbing is complicated, but you can avoid most plumbing catastrophes by thoroughly cleaning your drains and routine maintenance. The more you clean your drains, the better, as it never hurts to be proactive with your plumbing. Clogs, however, can happen despite how often you clean your drains, which is why it’s important to know the warning signs of a dirty drain. To prepare your drains this season, here’s what to watch for.
- Water starts to back up. When using the faucet, bathtub, or shower, the water should always drain. Water should never go up your drains, but if you notice after flushing a toilet or running the faucet that water starts to back up versus drain down, it could be a clogged drain.
- Foul odors. One of the most unpleasant warning signs of a clogged drain is the foul odor of sewage. A drain that’s clogged accumulates all the waste that’s flushed down the drains until the odors come back out the drains. Kitchens with garbage disposal can also be notorious for foul sewage odors, especially when enough food particles build up inside your drains.
- Odd sounds. Listen carefully to your drains. When a drain is blocked, water is then forced through small spaces or to change course which can result in bubbling or gurgling sounds. If you start to hear odd gurgling sounds from your drain, it’s time to clean your drains.
- Frequent clogs. Clogs can be a common plumbing problem, but if they happen often enough, it could be caused by a clogged drain. Some clogs can be resolved with a plunger or drain cleaner, but if you notice the same fixture keeps clogging regardless, you’ll need a plumber to professionally clean your drains.
- Multiple clogs at the same time. Not all clogs require calling in a plumber, but multiple clogs at once are problematic. If you notice multiple different fixtures have clogged all at once, it means there is a clog deeper inside your sewer line and requires a professional drain cleaning.
- Slow drains. A slow drain is one of the most common signs of a clogged drain, as no water fixture should have a slow drain. Watch your sinks and water appliances. If you notice it takes more time than usual to drain the sink or your washer or dishwasher is still full after the cycle, it’s time to clean your drains.
- Fruit or drain flies. Any buildup of food or waste inside your drains will attract flies. Tiny fruit flies are more than just an annoying pest; they can become a health risk, and are usually attracted to the scent of a clogged drain. Drains flies are another pest to watch out for, as they like to breed in drains and sewer lines. If your home has some clogged drains, you might start to notice drain flies buzzing in your bathroom.
How Gold Star Service Can Help With Drain Cleaning
When you choose Gold Star Service for sewer & drain cleaning, you’re choosing a five-star, reputable plumbing service with many years of experience serving residential and commercial property owners in the long island area. Over the years, we’ve worked hard to offer you outstanding customer service, as well as top-notch plumbing expertise. We make sure that all of our people are up to date on the most current plumbing technology so we can offer you the most advanced plumbing services. We offer:
- Top-rated plumbing services
- Transparent pricing with no hidden costs
- Up-front quotes with no obligation
- Advanced plumbing technology
- Cutting edge plumbing equipment
- Fully stocked trucks
- Prompt and professional services
- Fully licensed and insured
- Knowledgeable technicians
- Warranty on parts and labor
- Satisfaction guaranty
If you need drain cleaning, call Gold Star Service today!